Friday 12 June 2015

100 YEARS ON..

    World © Geoff Wilkinson - All rights reserved

This is one of my favourite buildings of all time. It's so simple, one story, one door and two windows with a stream running in front. Its like a child's drawing of a cottage or house. It is in fact the home of Llanafan Womens Institute, as you may know the WI is celebrating its 100 year centenary this year. Formed in 1915 'to revitalise rural communities and encourage women to become involved in producing food during the First World War'. It's still going from strength to strength and this lovely building in the heart of Wales is still the home of regular meetings. Wanstead of course has its own branch who meet at Christ Church hall the third Thursday of every month at 8pm, you can check out their website by clicking here.

I know I'll be taking another picture of my favourite little building next time I'm in Llanafan...

16 comments:

  1. It is very intriguing, Geoff, and an attractive, simple building! Love this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice harmonious building, with that green door and that blue roof. Beautiful image!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it fits very well into the landscape, it does not intrude...

      Delete
  3. It's a beaut with character.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Yes it has a quality I can't really define it but it is special

      Delete
  5. It's absolutely picture perfect Geoff, right down to the WI initials on the gate.. an irresistible draw for any camera lens :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure I'm not the only photographer to have photographed it but then again it is off the beaten track...

      Delete
  6. Oh you had me frightened for a minute, I had only read the Welsh name and thought nah this can't be in Wanstead, it looks so... well... Welsh! It's delightful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you think so Ciel, I'm afraid anything of that age in Wanstead has probably gone. I think Versaille has the edge on age..

      Delete
  7. Definitely a quaint little place. I'd love to see inside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hope one day I'll get get the keys to go inside...

      Delete